Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hello Holga...


It was a valiant fight. Destined to loose... yet after standing up for principals I ended up with a Hogla! Okay that's a little dramatic. I found a holga camera marked more than half off. I thought it was too good to be true, and figure it probably wouldn't work, but snatched it up and quickly went to buy it. It was marked wrong! The group I was with (specifically Doug my husband) couldn't believe they still wouldn't sell it to me at that price and promptly went back... and won the fight.

So now with the lovely sea-foam green plastic camera in my grubby little hands-I am wondering what am I going to do with it now? TAKE PHOTOS- of course. Yup it is just begging to be photographed.

But a Holga is more than a perfect model. In fact, it is a customizable, elegant, and simple machine. One might argue elegant, but its simple, straight forward and pure photography. The images are far from high res and crisp, and the photos are uniquely holga. Light streaks, vignettes, and oddities are likely to happen. And with a little tape and some modifications these can be encouraged.

I have yet to modify my own, in fact all I've done so far is shoot pics of it. Developing takes a couple weeks, but I hope to have my pics from this week and next up as soon as I get them in my hands.

1 comment: